Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 30, 2014

The Amazing Aloe Vera plant

About two months ago, I went to CVS with my daughter. It was very close to her birthday, but we weren't shopping for presents that day. We were only there to get a prescription filled and to purchase minutes for my phone. We had talked about not buying anything, and she was so good about not asking for anything while we waited for the pharmacist that I decided to let her pick out something. At the checkout counter there was a tray of small cactus plants; a few different varieties, and some aloe and flower plants. I asked her if she saw any she liked, and she picked out an Aloe plant.



That plant has been sitting in our kitchen window now for a long time. Over the months, I have noticed that there is one 'leaf' of the plant that looks separated from the others, and has taken on an overripe hue. 

As I was perusing the internet looking for things to do with this overripe portion of the plant, I discovered something:

Aloe is Amazing!! 

Did you know that Aloe has been referenced throughout history? There is mention of it in the Phillipines, the Bible, and has been historically proven to be used by the Chinese and Indians? It's use as a burn remedy is commonly known, and it's sold in supermarkets as an after-sun soothing treatment. 

But the health benefits of aloe go way past that. When pulped and made into a juice, the aloe plant's true potential lies within. Aloe juice has a detoxifying effect on the body, helping to prevent disease as well as aiding in weight loss. The juice has also been said to aid in the treatment of constipation, ulcers, diabetes, headaches, arthritis, and cough. You can even use it for 'feminine discharge' 
                                                                               (ya know, if applicable....) (Doc's Fitness Tips)

So now that I know what I have sitting in my kitchen window, I think it's time to take off that leaf that isn't doing so well, and turn it into something useful. 

I"m going to make myself an aloe and avocado face mask tomorrow.. 

and a bit of aloe juice. 

Maybe I'll even look into growing some more plants so I can put it in smoothies if and when I decide to do a detox. 

I've always been the girl that thinks the container of aloe in the fridge has only one purpose. Part of what I love about delving into the world of the natural is finding out how many things can be used for different purposes than what I was taught growing up.

Looking into places to get aloe.. I discovered aloe plant cuttings online! Click HERE to check them out on Amazon.com! 

SO, if you ever have a burn, or need a good facial toner, now you know where to look!! And if you have one of those feminine issues, well I promise that I won't tell anyone. 

-<3

No comments:

Post a Comment